Friday, June 30, 2006

It's not fun.

It's just not good when you start out from a stoplight next to a nice big protective truck, only to have the truck accelerate out ahead of a mini-van blowing through a REALLY red light. I was wondering why he had just hit the gas so hard and as I looked to my left past the trucks rear bumper I saw why. The mini van was a whopping 2-3 feet away from me going about 30 mph. I remember thinking "this is going to hurt". BANG- my bike and leg hit the bumper, I roll over onto the hood and then proceed to bounce off in a diagonal direction. I fly a few feet through the air (distinctly like hitting a big jump on skis but WAY off balance). I landed on my left hip bone and slid a few feet to a stop. My bike flew a few feet further. I looked over and was looking at the mini-vans rear wheel.

As I came to a stop I remember thinking, "Wow, that wasn't that bad!" I had a bunch of road rash, my hip looked pretty nasty and my left thumb hurt like hell. It was only later that night when I was sitting in the ER did my wrist start to hurt even though I was on pain killers already. They took a TON of x-rays (I was in the room for over an hour). Everything looked pretty intact except for my right wrist and my left thumb. Both of those are in splints until I go see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday. They thumb might need some repair work.

The good new came the next morning when I discovered I could wipe my own rear end still. Beth was literally jumping for joy over that one. I'm rolling along pretty good for a guy without the use of his thumbs. I can ride the trainer but the sweat breaks down the splints, not the best thing for me to do.

My parents are coming up to help me move and put the finishing touches on the new office. Look for updates on my recovery and the new place soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, scary man. Sounds like it could have been much worse. Your description sounds very similar to the situation where that girl got killed the other day.

Hope you heal up quickly.