Wednesday, February 08, 2006

First Race

I raced over the weekend for the first time this year. For the 16th year in a row I filled out the form and pinned on my number. There is definitely something ritualistic about that process. After all these years I still get a bit nervous during registration, especially at the first race of the year. I don't know why but for some reason I always have this fear that something radically changed for the worse over a few months of not racing. Anyway, that was not the case and things went well. In typical teton form I got very frustrated sitting in the group so I attacked the last 3/4 of the race. I knew it was futile but it was fun to push myself for the first time this year. My last move got absorbed with 3 to go and I went straight to the back and waited for the final pile-up. I was actually a bit surprised that it didn't happen.

Yesterday I did one of the sweetest climbs I've ever done. It was 15 miles and 3000ft of really consistent and smooth climbing. The only problem was that it's 2 hrs away and that made for a pretty long day (3800kj's). Needless to say I'm a bit tired today and it's going to take an extra cup of coffee to get going today.

3 comments:

Ross said...

whoa teton, you have been racing since I was three. You da man, mein.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Are there any races available when I am out there?

Anonymous said...

3800kj

Not bad.

I was riding with an un named Pro who told me he does 5500kj rides